Lamb Rump Steak With Coriander Peanut Pesto And Spicy Tomato Sauce
- Allow approx 150-200g trimmed HORIZON lamb rump per serving
- A little vegetable oil to brown
Seasoning - Coriander & Peanut Pesto:
- 200ml peanut oil
- 40g raw blanched peanuts
- 2 green chillies, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced ginger
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 100g basil leaves
- 25g mint leaves
- 50g coriander leaves
- 50g parsley
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 20ml fresh lime juice, strained
- Heat the oil and roast the peanuts over medium heat until golden.
- Strain the peanuts from the oil and cool.
- Reserve oil.
- Blend the peanuts in a food processor with the chillies, ginger and garlic.
- Add the herbs and half the reserved oil and blend to form a smooth paste.
- Add the sugar and lime juice and blend until the herbs are finely minced.
- Gradually pour in the remaining oil to make a smooth paste.
- To store, spoon the pesto into a container, cover with a film of oil and seal. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
Spicy Tomato Sauce
- 8 large, ripe tomatoes
- 5 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 250ml olive oil
- 1 brown onion, minced
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds, roasted and ground
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, cracked
- 200ml white wine
- Roast garlic at 190C (fan-bake) until soft.
- Roast the tomatoes in a baking tray in a preheated oven at 250C for about 30 minutes or until the tomatoes are coloured and split open.
- Heat a wide-based braising pan and add 100ml of the olive oil and fry the onion until softened and aromatic, stirring to prevent it sticking and burning.
- Add the cinnamon stick, ground cumin and cracked black peppercorns and stir until fragrant.
- Add the roasted tomatoes, garlic and the white wine and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pass the sauce through a fine conical sieve.
- Pour the sauce into the bowl of a food processor.
- With the motor running, slowly pour in the remaining olive oil in a thin stream to emulsify the sauce.
- Check the seasoning and adjust with sea salt and pepper if necessary.
- Set aside until required.
- Heat a large saute pan with a little vegetable oil.
- Season the lamb steaks on both sides then brown well in the oil.
- Place on an oven tray and bake to just under-done.
- Crisp fried leek (julienned and deep fried in oil)
- Place a serving of tomato sauce in a pasta bowl.
- Arrange the cooked lamb rump steak over the sauce.
- Drizzle over some pesto and garnish with fried leek.