Captain Hogan's Roghan Gosht
(Lamb Leg Tunnel Boned )
- 1 lb. HORIZON Diced Lean Lamb in one inch cubes from a Tunnel-boned Leg or Liberty Leg of Lamb
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt,
- 1/2 pint of plain yogurt,
- 2 large onions,
- 8 ozs. ghee [clarified butter],
- 2 ozs. fresh chopped ginger root,
- 4 cloves of garlic,
- 1/4 pint of water ,
- 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper,
- 2 teaspoons of paprika pepper,
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed powder,
- 2 ozs. tomato puree
- Add salt to the yogurt and rub this well into the meat, cover and leave in the fridge for 24 hours.
- Following day slice onions and fry in ghee until golden. [ Use a heavy 4 pint saucepan for this dish. ]
- Liquidise the chopped ginger and garlic with the water, add this to the onions.
- Simmer for about 10 mins.
- Add the rest of the spices and simmer for about another 10 mins.
- Stir in the tomato puree.
- Add the meat and all the marinade [ yogurt ].
- Cook gently for about 1 1/4 hours or until meat is tender.
- Serve with rice & nan bread plus the usual condiments.
Thanks to Captain Michael John Hogan of the Shetland Islands for this recipe.