Roast Topside Of Lamb With Marinated Eggplant And Rosemary Essence
(Lamb Topsides )
You need to marinate the eggplant slices the day before so they absorb the flavours. Use medium-sized firm eggplants and ensure the slices are submerged in the marinating liquid, or turn them from time to time.
- allow 150g-200g of HORIZON lamb topside ( well trimmed, cap removed) per serving
- 2 medium-sized eggplants
- 3 medium-sized red capsicums
- plenty of olive oil for frying and grilling
- milled pepper and maldon crystal salt
- 75ml white wine vinegar
- 75ml runny honey
- 100ml water
- 2 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 600ml lamb or light beef stock
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- all the marinating liquid from eggplant
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- freshly milled pepper and salt
- arrowroot to thicken
- 6 sprigs of rosemary
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
The Day Before:
- Slice the eggplant into six 1-1.5cm slices.
- Heat plenty of olive oil in a large saute pan then fry the eggplant slices until golden on both sides. Alternatively, pan-grill the eggplant to create a trellis effect or quadrillage.
- Place in a baking tray and continue to cook in a 200C oven for 5 minutes.
- Pour off excess oil then allow to cool.
- Bring the vinegar and the honey briefly to the boil.
- Add all the water and mix together.
- Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- Pour over the browned eggplant, season with ground pepper and sea salt, then sprinkle over the chopped herbs.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Rub the red capsicums with oil then roast at 200C (fan-bake) until they begin to colour.
- Remove from the heat then cool completely.
- Cut them in half, remove all the skin and seeds.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator.
- Combine the first three ingredients.
- Drain the liquid from the marinated eggplant as well as possible and add.
- Bring to the boil, then, over a steady heat, reduce to approximately 300-400ml.
- Put aside until required.
- Roast the lamb topside at 190C in a fan-forced oven (or at 200C without fan), for about 15 minutes until pink.
- Turn half way through cooking.
- Once cooked remove from the heat and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Melt the unsalted butter in a small pan until it begins to brown.
- Add the lemon juice, then pour into the essence.
- Bring the essence to the boil then thicken with a little diluted arrowroot.
- Pass through a fine sieve, season to taste and add the chopped rosemary.
- Cover with a lid and keep warm.
- Reheat the eggplant and capsicum in a hot oven.
- Place a hot slice of eggplant in each flat soup plate. Place a portion of sliced lamb topside on the eggplant then a piece of roast capsicum on top.
- Spoon over the essence and garnish with fresh rosemary.
- Serve while warm.