Red Lamb Curry
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2cm piece fresh or frozen ginger
- 1-2 tbsp red curry paste (or curry powder)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 700-800g HORIZON boned lamb, leg or shoulder, trimmed of fat, cubed
- 425g can peeled tomatoes in juice
- 1 large red or green capsicum, seeded, chopped or 1 cup peeled, diced pumpkin
- 1/2 cup coconut milk or plain yoghurt
- Put oil in a heavy-based saucepan or casserole on low heat. Add onion and garlic. Grate or finely chop ginger and add. Cook gently, stirring often, about 6 minutes. Stir in curry paste or powder and salt. Cook, stirring for a few minutes.
- Increase heat, add lamb, stirring well. Add tomatoes and juice, lower heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add chopped capsicum or diced pumpkin and coconut milk or yoghurt. Cover and simmer on lowest heat for 1 hour or until tender. Stir occasionally. Or transfer covered casserole to oven at 160 degrees celsius and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- Serve with rice and vegetables, or with Indian-style curry accompaniments eg: poppadoms, roti, spicy cucumber or fresh mint chutney.
For a low fat meal use yoghurt, not coconut milk.