Poached Veal Shank With Risotto Milanese
(Bobby Veal Osso Bucco )
- 4 HORIZON Bobby Veal Hindshanks (about 8cm long)
- beef stock
- 40g butter
- 4 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 small bunch sage, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 400 ml reduced veal stock
- 60g butter, extra
- 1 small bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 bunch chives, chopped
- 40g butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 200g (1 cup) arborio rice
- 360ml hot chicken stock
- Pinch of saffron, or to taste
- 220ml pouring cream
- 30g grated parmesan
- Cover veal shanks with beef stock, season to taste and simmer, covered, over low heat for 1-1.5 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Drain veal and reserve stock for another use.
- For "risotto", melt butter in a flameproof casserole, add onion and cook over low heat until soft.
- Add rice and stir over low heat to coat completely with oil and to toast lightly.
- Add hot chicken stock and saffron, season to taste and bring to the boil.
- Cover, transfer casserole to oven and cook at 200C for 15 minutes or until rice is tender and stock is absorbed. If all stock is absorbed and the rice is not cooked, add extra simmering stock and cook until this is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Cool casserole and stir with a fork to break up any lumps.
- Bring cream to the boil in a large saucepan, add cooled rice and parmesan.
- Return to the boil, and simmer over medium heat, stirring, until rice is thick and creamy.
- Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a heavy-based saucepan, add onion and cook over low heat until soft and golden brown.
- Stir in sage, tomato and reduced veal stock and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, whisk in extra butter, parsley and chives.
- Spoon risotto into warm serving bowls, place veal shanks on top and spoon warm sauce over.