Osso Buco With Balsamic Vinegar
(Veal Hindquarter )
- Butter or oil
- 12 golden eschalots, peeled
- 8 x 3.5cm thick slices of veal shank
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and bruised
- 120ml good quality balsamic vinegar
- 400ml rich veal stock
- 1 bunch thyme and 1 stick wrapped in cinnamon
- 12 baby carrots, peeled
- 1 cup shelled peas
- Mashed celeriac
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts, coarsely ground
- Pre-heat the oven to 120 C.
- Heat a little butter or oil in a lidded ovenproof pot, large enough to accommodate the shank slices in a single layer, and sear the eshallots and veal until browned all over.
- Add the garlic, vinegar, stock, thyme and cinnamon.
- Bring the liquid to the boil, then cover the pot, transfer it to the oven and cook the veal for 3 hours or until tender.
- Boil or steam the carrots and peas until tender, then stir into the osso buco just before serving time.
- Place a piece of veal with some of the sauce and vegetables in each dish and serve with mashed celeriac.