Navarin Of Lamb
(Lamb Neck Slices )
- 1kg HORIZON Lamb Neck Slices
- 2 tablespoon plain flour seasoned with salt and cracked black
- 1/4 cup mustard-seed oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 375ml red wine
- 3 cups veal or chicken stock
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 2 sprigs each of thyme and oregano
- steamed baby turnips tossed in butter and oregano, to serve
- Toss lamb in seasoned flour and shake away excess.
- Heat oil in a heavy-based, flameproof casserole and brown lamb, in batches, over medium heat.
- Remove lamb from casserole, add vegetables and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned.
- Stir in tomato paste and 125ml wine, increase heat and boil until liquid has reduced and thickened.
- Add another 125ml wine and boil until thickened, then repeat with remaining wine.
- Add stock and herbs to casserole and bring to the boil.
- Return meat to casserole, cover and cook in the oven at 160C for 2-21/2 hours, or until tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove lamb from liquid and keep warm.
- Strain liquid into a saucepan, pressing down on vegetables to extract juices.
- Bring sauce to the boil and reduce until slightly thickened, then season to taste.
- Spoon sauce over lamb and serve accompanied by steamed baby turnips.