Lamb Tagine with Apricots and Pumpkin
- 170g (about 1 cup) dried apricots
- 1kg HORIZON boned lamb shoulder or leg, fat removed or 1 x Liberty Leg of Lamb, bone removed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp oil or clarified butter
- 2 garlic clove, peeled, finely chopped
- 2cm fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 onions, peeled, chopped
- 1 tsp each ground turmeric, cumin
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder (or 1/2 tsp fresh chopped chilli)
- 1 tsp each coriander, salt
- 2 cups hot water
- 450g piece pumpkin (2 cups peeled, diced)
- Optional: 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Soak apricots in cold water to cover. Cut lamb into 2cm cubes. Grind some pepper over and mix through.
- Heat oil and butter in a large, heavy-based metal casserole (or frying pan). Brown lamb, a little at a time; don't crowd the pan. Turn cubes with tongs; remove as they brown.
- Reduce heat. Add garlic, ginger and onions. Saute on low, 2 to 3 minutes, scraping bottom of pan well. Add spices and salt. Stir in hot water then diced pumpkin. Combine with browned lamb.
- Cook in covered casserole in oven, 160 degrees celsius, for 1 hour. Drain apricots and add. Cover and cook 1 more hour until lamb is tender.
Optional: add lemon juice.
- Serve hot with rice or couscous and vegetables.
Serves 6 to 7