Lamb And Shiraz Casserole
(Lamb Shoulder BRN)
- 900g shoulder of lamb, cubed
- 2 tbsp. seasoned flour
- Olive oil
- 25 g butter
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 heaped tbsp. tomato puree
- 600mls Shiraz (or any 'big' red)
- 2 bay leaves
- Toss the meat in the flour then brown (in batches) in 1 tbsp of oil and the butter.
- Remove with a slotted spoon, then add another tbsp. oil and gently fry the vegetables for 10 minutes.
- Return the meat to the casserole, stir in the puree, wine and salt & pepper, stir and bring to the boil.
- Cover tightly and place in a preheated oven (160 C/ 325 F/ Gas mark 3) for one and a half to two hours.
- Serve with sweet-potato mash (half orange-flesh sweet potato, half-regular potato, mash with plenty of butter) and broccoli.
Sue Lawrence - Style Magazine, Times, London 1999