Fresh Lamb Salad
The flavour is best if the meat is slightly warm when the dressing is added.
- 500g lean, boneless HORIZON lamb tenderloins
- Olive Oil
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups finely slice, tender celery
- 4 tablespoons chopped chives or
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 12 (about) fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive or other oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Trim fat and silverskin from lamb. Spread lamb out in a single layer.
Optional: halve strip loin horizontally for quicker cooking.
- Cover lamb with plastic wrap. Use a rolling pin or tenderizer to flatten to an even thickness.
- Brush lamb on all sides with oil. Grind black pepper over. Leave to stand about 10 minutes.
- Heat a heavy-based, dry frying pan (e.g. cast-iron) or non-stick pan on high heat.
Optional: grease pan lightly with oil.
- Pan-grill lamb quickly. Thicker steaks on moderate heat, 2-3 minutes each side; thin 3 - 5mm fillets 1 - 11/2 minutes each side. Cook lamb rare. Remove.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Slice lamb across the grain into small strips about 1cm by 5cm. Toss warm or cool (not chilled) lamb with the celery, chives or spring onion and torn mint leaves. Add dressing.
2.6mg iron per serving.