Butterflied Leg Of Lamb With Moroccan Herb Mechoul
(Lamb Hindquarter/Boneless Leg)
- 1 Leg of Lamb, very large (approximately 2kg) boned and butterflied
- 600ml (1 pint) water
- 150ml (1/4 pint) good olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 bay leaves finely chopped
- Place lamb in a non-aluminum container.
- Combine all the dry ingredients for the marinade and rub over the meat.
- Add the oil and the water, cover, and refrigerate overnight or stand 2 hours at room temperature.
- Bring the lamb to room temperature if refrigerated.
- Remove the lamb from the marinade and sprinkle with salt.
- Grill on a hot barbecue for 12- 15 minutes on each side, (keep basting the lamb with any extra marinade during the cooking).