Braised Lamb Shanks And Artichokes
- 8 globe artichokes
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 HORIZON Lamb Foreshanks, trimmed
- 1 brown onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 stick of celery, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 150g chickpeas, soaked in water overnight, then drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Mashed potato (optional), to serve
- Trim artichokes and place in a bowl of water with lemon juice to prevent discolouration.
- Heat olive oil in a large roasting pan or flameproof casserole and cook lamb shanks, in batches, until browned all over.
- Remove shanks and discard all but 2 tablespoons fat from pan.
- Add onion, garlic, carrot and celery and cook over low heat until soft.
- Stir in stock, thyme and cumin and season to taste.
- Bring to the boil, add lamb shanks and drained chickpeas, then cover and bake at 160C for 60 minutes.
- Drain artichokes, add to lamb and cook, covered, a further 30-45 minutes, or until lamb is tender.
Serve sprinkled with chopped parsley and preserved lemon and accompanied by mashed potato.