BBQ Butterflied Lamb
- 1 HORIZON leg or shoulder of lamb, boned, butterflied or 1 x Liberty Leg of Lamb, bone removed
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger or 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp teriyaki marinade or light soy sauce
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp salt (optional)
- Lay butterflied lamb out flat, boned surface uppermost; make several shallow cuts in thickest parts of meat. Trim visible fat from inside leg or shoulder. Leave a 5mm covering of fat on lamb.
- Mix all remaining ingredients. Spread evenly on boned surfaces of lamb. Leave in a cool place for 2-3 hours. Or cover and refrigerate overnight but remove 2 hours before cooking.
- Preheat barbecue. Optional: push 2-4 large or double-loop metal skewers through lamb to support it and make handling easier.
- Barbecue lamb on low steady heat for about 30-35 minutes, turning it several times. Allow to stand 10-15 minutes in a warm place before carving. Serve hot cold but not chilled.
Alternative: oven-roast lamb. Place lamb on rack in roasting pan. Add 3/4 cup of water to pan. Roast at 180 degrees celsius for 45-50 minutes, or at 200 degrees celsius for 30-35 minutes.